Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Do You Remember Me? (part 4)



It’s almost two months since the last time I met her. My hectic schedules kept forcing me like crazy. And my thought about her could kill me slowly. I have to meet her. No matter what. 
I grabbed my bike. I knew it’s already late at night. But I don’t dare to go outside at bright day. I pedaled it to the hospital.
It’s nearly 12AM.
I must be a stupid person. Who will come to see someone at hospital in this midnight? Only me.
But, somehow I believed I could meet her again. She might be sitting on the bench in the lobby or sleeping soundly in her room.  
I parked my bike on the parking lot. It’s quite silent.
The corridor was so silent. I only saw few people or nurses or doctors passed by.
I walked to room 289 and peeked at the small transparent window on the door.
It’s empty. No one there. 
“Where is she?”, I mumbled. I dragged my legs to the lobby. She might be there.
The sounds of my steps echoed all the way to the lobby. I stopped in front of the vending machine and looked around the lobby.
No one there. 
I sighed and sat on the bench in the middle of the lobby.
I knew it. I was really stupid. Just because I needed to meet her, I went straight to the hospital. She probably had gone home. Who would really mind to stay at the hospital for too long? 
“Excuse me.” Someone stood in front of me.
“Ne?” Ah! It was the nurse from the last time.
“Are you visiting someone?”, she asked me. 
“Animnida… Ehm… Actually… Yes…” 
“I’m sorry, but it’s too late at night. You can’t meet patient now.”
“Gwenchana, I’m going home anyway.” I stood up.
She went away to the front desk.
I walked to the front desk. “Excuse me… But can you tell me where patient Room 289 is. Yoo Ah Reum. Where is she?”
 “Ohh… Ahreum-ssi, she went home two months ago.” 
“Ah… I see. Kamsahamnida.” I turned my body.
“Wait a moment…”, called the nurse.
I looked at the nurse.
“Excuse me, but… are you Yang… Yangyo-ssi?”, she said as she read something on a paper.
“Yes, why?”
“Actually, Ahreum-ssi gave me this before she went home.” She handed me a small note.
I opened that paper. Numbers.

***

I opened my eyes.It’s already morning.
I took a deep breath. I’m still alive. 
I opened the window, felt the morning breeze for a while, and sat in front of the mirror.
I’m all alone again. All day and night. That’s my life will be till the day I die.
I smiled at my own reflection.
I somehow miss his smile. I’m afraid I’ll no longer see his smile.
It’s almost two months since the last time I saw him. He never visited me anymore. He might forget me.
Who am I actually? I am just nobody. A stranger. A random girl.
My phone rang. I stayed still in my seat. I heard my housemaid picked the phone. 
Five seconds… Fifteen seconds… Thirty seconds…
It must be mom. She likes to call me every hour just to check whether I am faint and need to be dragged to the hospital or not.
Knock! Knock! Knock!
“Excuse me, Ahreum-ssi. A call for you.”
I opened the door. “Thank you.” My housemaid handed me the portable home-phone.
“Ne, umma? I’m awake and I’m still alive. Waeyo?” I said recklessly as I picked up the phone.
“Yoboseyo? Is this Ah Reum-ssi?” A stranger’s voice.
“Ah… yes... Who is this?” My heart skipped a beat.
“Do you remember me? It’s me. Yangyo… Yangyo oppa…”
My heart raced so fast. I can barely breathe. 



-to be continued- 

No comments:

Post a Comment